The music that provided the soundtrack to the London 2012 Olympic Games Closing Ceremony is available now, just moments after the Ceremony ended tonight, Sunday 12 August 2012. The release follows the massive global success of ‘Isles of Wonder – Music For The Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games’ which, within seconds of release after the ceremony, had registered in the top 10 download chart in 42 countries.
‘A Symphony of British Music - Music For The Closing Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games’ is released by Universal Music labels Decca / UMC (Universal is music licensee for the London 2012 Olympic Games) with the support of The London Organising Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games (LOCOG). The album will celebrate the global appeal of British music with spectacular performances from some of the most iconic British performers and contemporary artists.
From classic tracks by Queen, Kate Bush, Madness, The Who, Ray Davies, David Bowie to Jessie, J, Tinie Tempah, Kaiser Chiefs, Muse, Elbow and the much speculated Spice Girls reunion, the London 2012 Olympic Games Closing Ceremony showed the brilliant diversity of British music from the past to the present.
Artistic Director Kim Gavin has lead the spectacular show with a team of talented creatives including music director David Arnold and Designer Es Devlin.
Kim Gavin, London 2012 Olympic Games Closing Ceremony Artistic Director said: “I was lucky because Seb Coe basically just asked me to put on a party, a celebration of London and the UK. To me the sport was always the main event, and I wanted to create a great after show party for the athletes, the volunteers, the spectators and people watching around the world. My approach, just like any party, was to start with the music. We wanted the Ceremony to reflect on UK music and how good and global British music is.”
Music Director for the Closing Ceremony, David Arnold has written and produced three new pieces of music for the Ceremony that will accompany the key traditional moments of the event: ‘Parade of Athletes’, ‘Medal Ceremony’ and ‘Spirit of the Flame’.
David Arnold said: “I'm curating, composing, arranging, producing, rearranging, re-recording. If there is a universal radio station that only tunes into British music and you close your eyes and dial through it and hear all these different things sparkling – little moments and little phrases – and then you land on a certain moment, that's kind of the idea of what we're trying to do with this symphony.”
Richard Hinkley, General Manager of Universal Music Catalogue said: “It isn’t only in sport that the UK punches above its weight and the success of Isles of Wonder has already shown the global appetite for British music and creativity. Releasing A Symphony of British Music just as the closing ceremony finishes allows viewers the opportunity to keep the songs ringing in their ears for even longer.”
Dickon Stainer, President of Decca Records said: "This album features the music which closes the event of a lifetime - like the Opening Ceremony music, it is unique."
Get the album HERE
1. Urban Voices Collective – Because
2. Julian Lloyd Webber, LSO, Stomp feat. Timothy Spall– Salut d’Amour
3. Madness – Our House
4. Massed Bands Of The Household Division – Parklife
5. Pet Shop Boys – West End Girls
6. Ray Davies, Urban Voices Collective, LSO – Waterloo Sunset
7. Emeli Sandé – Read All About It
8. David Arnold – Parade Of Athletes
9. Elbow, LSO, Urban Voices Collective– Open Arms
10. Elbow, LSO, Urban Voices Collective – One Day Like This
11. Kate Bush – Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God Remix)
12. Toby Pitman, David Arnold, Pete Lockett, Rahda Meta, Prabhat Rao, Varun Verma, Bilwa Iyer, Urban Voices Collective, Eos Chater, Tania Davis, Elspeth Hanson, Gay-Yee Westerhoff - Here Comes The Sun
13. David Arnold – Medal Ceremony
14. Queen – Bohemian Rhapsody (Excerpt)
1. John Lennon, Liverpool Philharmonic Youth Choir – Imagine
2. George Michael - White Light
3. Kaiser Chiefs – Pinball Wizard
4. David Bowie – Fashion
5. Annie Lennox – Little Bird
6. Ed Sheeran, Nick Mason, Mike Rutherford, Richard Jones, David Arnold – Wish You Were Here
7. Russell Brand, LSO – Pure Imagination
8. Russell Brand, Bond - I Am The Walrus
9. Fatboy Slim – Right Here, Right Now
10. Fatboy Slim - The Rockafeller Skank
11. Jessie J, Tinie Tempah, Taio Cruz – Medley: Price Tag / Written In The Stars / Dynamite
12. The Bee Gees featuring Jessie J, Tinie Tempah, Taio Cruz – You Should Be Dancing
13. The Spice Girls – Medley: Wannabe / Spice Up Your Life
14. Eric Idle – Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life
15. Muse – Survival
16. Queen– Queen Medley: Day-O / Brighton Rock
17. Queen and Jessie J We Will Rock You
18. The London Welsh Male Voice Choir, The London Welsh Rugby Club Choir, LSO – Olympic Anthem
19. LSO - Extinguishing The Flame
20. Take That - Rule The World
21. David Arnold – Spirit Of The Flame
22. The Who – Baba O’Riley
23. The Who – See Me Feel Me / Listen To Me
24. The Who – My Generation